- Ewes range from 70 – 90kg and 72 – 78 cm in height.
- Rams can range from 80 – 130kg with a height of 75 -83cm and do not seem to be aggressive.
- They are a naturally docile, friendly, inquisitive and extremely cute breed of sheep making them the perfect pet.
- Their characteristic appearance involves black parts of the nose, eyes, ears, front knees, ankles, hocks and feet in an otherwise white coat.
- The fleece which grows around 30cm annually has a white and fluffy look adding to the “cuddly toy” appeal.
- Can be trained to eat sheep nuts out of your hand with a little perseverance.
- First crosses using foundation ewes and a purebred ram are referred to as the F1 (generation 1) 50% valais blacknose sheep (VBN).
- Second crosses are the F2 (generation 2) 75% VBN
- Third crosses F3 (generation 3) 87.5% VBN
- Fourth crosses F4 (generation 4) 93.75% VBN
- Fifth cross (after 5 consecutive breeding seasons of the programme) are F5 (generation 5) 96.88% VBN.